Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The calling!


Since I was young I loved seeing pregnant women. I just wanted to rub all up on that beautiful belly, in hopes I could fell the baby move or kick. It's truly amazing what our body can do. We are like superheroes, we create and give life! I always wanted to learn more and more about pregnancy and birth. One summer in college I took a midwifery course and instantly fell in love. The class was so exciting and interesting, it was actually my first A in a course. Yeah, believe it lol. Once the class was over I did more research and realize I wanted to go a different route. After some years of after college I heard this crazy word "doula". I've never heard of this alien word before. So me being me, let me just google this.  I did a lot of research about what a doula was....a lot. Then it hit me. This is it, this is what I want to do. But like usual life happens and I pushed a side my dreams. 

Then finally my moment to join the superheroes. Yay, I'm having a baby girl. Looking back, I wish I had doula with her. Even though I did have good support system. But it wasn't until becoming doula myself I realized a lot of my needs wasn't fulfilled. I had no clue until my training that I was giving a stadol. I was so upset, I cried.  I was so set on a unmedicated birth and then to be given medicine really made me feel disappointed in myself. My support didn't know exactly what was giving or the drawback to it. We was just all ready to meet baby girl. 21 hours later she was in my arms and it was the best feeling EVER!
Being pregnant and having a child is a moment to remember. Everyone deserves to have a the best birthing experience that they possibly can.  There is a lot of women that don't have the support they need or enough education to know all of their options. I want women to be able and look back on the birth of their children say it was a great experience.  As a doula, I'm here for you! Whatever you need, I am. I want to help reassure, navigate, support and educate you during pregnancy and birth. Everyone needs someone to lean on, and that's me, your doula Karissa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment